Explore the Animal Kingdom
During this week, we went to The Hainan Tropical Wildlife Park and Botanical gardens. The gardens and geographical location are perfectly located outside the city, far away from the daily rat race and it offers the opportunity to become one with the animals, to see their behaviours and experience what they look like in real life.
Interesting facts about animals:
1) You are able to hear a Lion roar up to 8 kilometres away! The male lion usually doesn’t hunt for food, the female lions do but the male helps when the prey is too big and strong for them. Lions are not considered to be the most dangerous wild animal in Africa, the Hippo is.
2) Did you know that there are currently 265 known species of monkeys. Although it is known that every monkey eats bananas, the bananas that we get in retail stores are specifically cultivated ang grown for human consumption and should not be given to monkeys, its too sweet for them.
3) An Ostrich is considered to be the largest bird but is flightless, it only runs and cannot fly. It can run up to 70km/h and has a leg stride of up to 5m. Interestingly, Ostriches have three stomachs
4) An Owl can turn it’s head 270 degrees and is extremely fast at it too. They have to turn their heads to see due to the fixed eye tubes in their skulls. They mainly lurk around at night to hunt. There are 200 known species of owls and are masters at camouflage.
5) Pandas have been a symbol of peace in China. Their life span is 14 to 20 years in the wild and up to 30 years in captivity.
6) The horse has one of the largest eyes of any land mammal.
7) Black Swans mate for life and build nests either on the ground or floating on the water.
8) Ligers are the worlds biggest cats and they are very good swimmers.
9) Brown bear mamas have babies during the winter while they are asleep!
10) Black bears grow up to 1.9 metres long and can weight up to 135 kg.
These animals and so many more are all available to see at the Hainan Tropical Wildlife park and Botanical gardens. The park is well equipped and staffed with translation devices, tour guides and entertainment staff that may give a local lunchtime show when you are around for showtime.
0.02% votes cast for this work:
In order to add a new comment, you need authorize on the site.